Thursday, February 24, 2011

Love Languages

I started this post on Valentine's Day, but am just now finishing it. My life has been CRAZY busy this semester, but I have absolutely loved every second of it (minus the being ill part, but thank goodness all that is finally over!). My switch to Kindergarten was a little stressful at first, but it didn't take me long to get in the groove of things and fall completely in love with my students. It is a precious age that I truly enjoy teaching. Spending my Valentine's Day with them was a treat- I received so much love and appreciation and so many hugs that I already can't wait till next year's Valentine's Day when i *fingers crossed* have a classroom of my very own!

Because this semester has been such a dramatic shift in lifestyle, I have been able to learn a lot of different things about myself. One of the things I've learned is how I gravitate to different expressions of love in different seasons of life. If you don't already know, the 5 love languages are as follows:

1. Gifts 2. Quality Time 3. Physical Touch 4. Words of Affirmation 5. Acts of Service

I have ALWAYS summarized myself in saying that I both give and receive love the through quality time. I love me some good, uninterrupted time with those that I hold dear. Always have, always will. The other categories didn't hold a candle, but I especially have never been moved by acts of service. I think this is probably due partly to my stubborn "I can do it myself" personality, but lately the Lord has taught me a lot about myself in this area. Not only do I NEED the Lord and cannot do life on my own, I have recently realized just how appreciative I am when I receive help from others. I first started noticing this through my roomies... I'll leave something in the sink because I have to run out the door to work or the next thing, and I'll come home and finally get time to do it and it's already done. Goodness gracious, they really have NO idea how thankful I am and how loved I feel when they do things like this for me. Long story short- My fatigue and lack of energy at the end of the day is absolutely loving the little acts of service people around me are extending to me..... it was honestly the love language I thought I'd never ever appreciate.... (and still is not as dominant as some others, but it's just neat to see a little change.) oh, life. oh, the things that change. oh, the places you'll go! (of course in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday coming up... March 2nd!)

That's all.

And oh, here's a little funny: We were talking about Betsy Ross today in my K class and how she made the American Flag. We learned that she was a "widow" and when I asked the kids if they knew what a widow is, these were their replies... in this exact order:

-A woman who likes to sew.
-A poor woman.
-A woman that doesn't have kids.
-A woman who's not married.

Haha. Little did they know, they got closer and closer with each guess. Bless their little hearts. Love them.


(and roomies, if you're reading... THANK YOU for all the little things! Love you- hope these words of affirmation mean something, I'll repay you in acts of service sooooon I promise!!!) :)

2 comments:

Taylor Huddleston said...

Love this... And I miss you oh so very much. I hope you are doing well sweet friend. Let's talk soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well and enjoying teaching. I love you and miss you dear friend!