Well, this has been a long time coming. I have some minutes to kill before heading to the lake (!) for the weekend with some sweet new friends and wanted to share a sweet connection that the Lord brought to my attention recently.
Here I am, in Knoxville, in Grad School. And let me tell you, it's a whole different ballgame. I'm at a school quadruple the size I'm used to, new roommates with new surroundings, new churches to visit, new friends to make. It's been a challenge, that's for sure. One of the biggest differences is having only classes at nighttime. Since I'm in graduate school, all of my classes are at night so that people who work during the day can still attempt at getting their masters. Except those that do, take one or two courses at a time. Instead, I am taking a full load and not working (although I just became an official Knox County Substitute which is exciting, so we'll see how that goes!). So, while everyone else is gone and busy during the day, I get to sleep in, do chores and errands, catch up on/do schoolwork, etc.
Here's the thing: because my life is so different from everyone elses, they see my large amounts of "downtime" during the day and have a lot to say about it. AT LEAST once a day, a lot of the times more, I hear from someone or another remarks like, "Must be nice..", "I'm so jealous of your life," "I would love to do nothing all day," or something that insinutates that they have a life and I don't. So, you can just imagine how this started to get to me. Like, really really get to me. I wanted to lash out and say things, but often bit my tongue or tried to hide my fury. So I found myself even going as far as hiding from people just so I didn't have to face any comments. But, then I think... I've been in their position already- just last year in student teaching-- after a SUPER long tiring day of teaching, coming home to a napping house just wasn't ideal. So it's understandable; I've been in their shoes. (But then again, a lot of things that occupy people's "busy" schedules are thing that they signed up for and volunteered for in the first place, but that's a whole nother can of worms.) Bottom line is they just simply don't understand that I am in a different phase of life that is "difficult" in very different measures than they are experiencing.
So, I've been taking it to the Lord. And He (duh) has something for me to learn in it all. I should've known. I went home a couple of weekends ago and expressed a little of this to my parents. So in talking and sharing with my parents, I told them that, "Everybody thinks....(insert remark similar to I'm a bum, I have no life, I'm wasting my life, etc etc etc)." The sweet thing that struck me the most was this response from my daddy. He said...
"I'm not everybody."
My dad wanted to assure me that even though I felt as though "everybody" was hurting my feelings, that he doesn't think the way they think. He went on to emphasize that of all people, he's the one whose opinion even matters because HE'S the one paying for my education in the first place and is supporting me every step of the way. Ultimately, his opinion is what matters. And he's not everybody.
And then... the Lord. I didn't even get it at first. The precious Lord waited to reveal it to me until a time when He knew my heart would listen... He finally showed me the picture of Himself that I saw in my dad that day. So, so often the world bombards us with sin and demands and deadlines and judgement and ridicule and hatred and disappointment and shame that ultimately makes us want to run and hide...... But GOD.
You see, He's not everybody.
Praise the Lord, HE'S NOT EVERYBODY!
Peace I leave with you; peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. -John 14:27
Now that's something to shout from the rooftops.
1 comment:
Love your blog, Anna! Hope you are doing well!
Post a Comment