Saturday, May 9, 2009

Getting to Play Mommy Minus The Joys of Playing House

Even if I'm never fully ready and prepared for motherhood, I think i'm at least one step closer to it now than i was last week. You see, I played mom. For a good, solid, loonng, 24ish hours. at least.

My precious roommate Carling and I, last week, (SLAP DAB MIDDLE OF FINALS, MIND YOU) decided to treat ourselves to a yummy mexican dinner at our local El Sazon. We split the EXACT same meal, off of the EXACT same plate. Reason i tell you this, is because about 3-4 hours after we ate it, Carling's alllllll came back up. (sorry to be disgusting, but just tellin it like it was.) At first we just thought it was a one time thing, she felt better, lets go to bed, wake up tomorrow everything will be a-ok.... but no. it kept coming.. and coming... and coming. she had NOTHING left in her body. NOTHING. and her body STILL wouldn't give up. saying she was SO sick was an understatement... I was by her side like any mommy would do.... Why? you ask? well, because i love her, for one. and because i would want her to do the same for me, for two. and because i felt so, so sorry for her, for three. and, because HER mommy was in IRELAND, for four. Her parents were OUT OF THE COUNTRY and the poor thing couldn't even hear her mommmy's voice. and sometimes a mommy's voice just makes everything all better.. i hated that she couldn't have that, so i tried to be sufficient. But she was sooooo so sick, and the emergency room was the only hope we had left... so off we went...

Hope had gotten home in the nick of time, and realized that it was too much for one person to handle, and hopped in the car with me (SO glad she did!). We raced (with stops... oh yes, carling's body for some reason wouldn't stop its madness) to the emergency room, only to meet mrs. slow poke at the front desk... imagine Aunt Bee with hearing aids. that was our emergency room receptionist. She tried asking carling all these questions (which, i understand you have to do, but the poor girl couldn't WALK or TALK. we needed OBVIOUS help.) I finally flung out her drivers licence and insurance card and handed them to Aunt Bee and asked if there was ANY way we could get her back there as soon as possible. Thankfully, they did realize our desperation and called us back, and iv's were inserted within minutes. Smooth sailin from there on out. Their initial reaction was food poisioning, so we told them, "But we shared the EXACT same meal and I'm fine." The doctor then looked at me with his smirk and said, "It just might not have hit you yet... are you ready for a long night?!" I went into panic mode. I saw how miserable carling was and did NOT want to have to go through that... thankfully it either never hit me, or it was just a virus. Whatever it was though, was brutal. I've always been thankful for my own mother, but gained a different kind of appreciation after that night. There's nothing like the nuture and care from a mommy, for sure. I was just glad that I could be there when her mommy couldn't.

Looking back now, though, its all just a memory. Thankfully, a pretty laughable memory. With some pretty hilarious events. We'll be telling stories from that night and cracking up for awhile, i'm sure.

At about 5 in the morning, we were finally leaving the hospital and on our way home (well, to walgreens, then home). This song came in the faint background. Once we all 3 started singing along, I turned it up. I'm pretty sure Jehovah Rapha - The Lord our Healer- was smiling down on our little sickly and tired car. We were His children singing Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, He reins. At that point, we were just thankful. For many, many things.

No comments: