Monday, June 28, 2010

I Want To Leave A Legacy

While I'm all about not caring what other people think, I'd be lying if I said it's not something that drives us. Our motives, our thoughts, our actions, our words, etc, etc. It consumes our culture... it's everywhere.

It's encouraging to remember and keep in mind what God's word has to say...
"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." -1 Samuel 16:7

Why am I thinking about this? Blogging about this? Haven't you done some really awesome things lately like road trip to visit family in North Carolina, see your sweet little niece Felicity, MOVE TO KNOXVILLE... and you're writing about they opinions of others? WHY?! I'm so glad you asked...

In organizing my stuff during my move to Knoxville, I came across a note I had saved from my senior year of high school. This particular piece of scribbled-on paper was particularly important because of the meaning behind it. Not sure what the focus of the lesson was SUPPOSED to be that day; I just know that I left english class that day with an understanding of what kind of legacy I wanted to leave. That people ARE watching. You see, in this particular exercise, we all had to choose someone in the room to write about. Rules were as follows: had to be descriptive, had to be appropriate, couldn't say the person's name, and couldn't give away their gender. Then, we read them aloud and let the rest of the class try to guess the classmate that was just described. If someone wrote about you, you got to keep the description. I've never thrown mine away...

This person's bubbly and happy nature is evident to even those who don't know them well. Their faith shines out in more ways than one. They have strong opinions on subjects, whether it be class-related, theological, or otherwise. Their organized nature keeps them on top of things. I imagine this person finding the absolute perfect spouse before marrying and having a nice little family. They would be the type of person would would love to spend lots of time with their kids and grandkids someday.


I cherish this. I love what the author of this chose to include. Even stuff about the future... that they imagined me holding true to my nature as I grew older. While other people's opinion's ultimately don't matter, (and thank the Lord that they don't), this was and is encouraging to me. I realize this was only one person's opinion, but at least they thought it was accurate enough for other people in the room to guess who it was written about. I also realize that this was written four years ago. I just pray that if someone were to describe me now, it might be at least somewhat similar.
Seriously though- this made me stop and think- what kind of reputation am I currently building? How would people describe me? Do I walk what I talk? What kind of legacy am I leaving? Good questions to ponder. The Lord looks at the heart.... where's my heart?

It reminds me of one of my favorite songs growing up by Nichole Nordeman called Legacy. I'll leave you with the lyrics. They say it better than I ever could and really summarize my point:
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

No comments: